...but someone's got to do it!
My name's Megan and I currently do the administration for the STICK network, which is less of a 'dirty job' and more of a unique chance to be a part of a passionate band of museum professionals and industrial/transport enthusiasts. Perhaps it would be more acurate to say the 'dirty job' is trying to channel this passion sometimes!
The Scottish Transport and Industry Collections Knowledge network was started in 2006 as a response to a consultation run by the National Partnerships Department of National Museums Scotland. In it the sector showed their keenness for a network of similar-minded people in Scotland, that could stand up for our Industrial heritage and be a voice for much loved collections and objects across the country. And so, STICK was born.
I must admit I know nothing about the subject - or at least I didn't before being involved in the network, but now I can talk traction engines, lathes and sewing machines with the best of them. Well, almost. I've been very lucky to be involved in some fascintating conferences and have had the opportunity to explore some wonderful museums because of the network.
I've also been actively involved in the Old Tools New Uses project - if you came along to any of the drop-in surgeries you most likely met me there. It's been a very interesting project and has taught me a lot, not only about domestic technology and tools but also how passionate people can be about seemingly random objects.
My favourite part of the 'job' (for this is really just a small part of my work as National Partnerships Officer at National Museums Scotland is hearing from the network. I've had some lovely emails, letters, chats and phone calls over the last 18 months, so thank you for getting in touch. Keep them coming!
No comments:
Post a Comment